DENTAL CHECK-UP SUNNYBANK
The examination appointment normally consists of getting to know you, information gathering and formulating a treatment plan that will suite your needs. This will also be a good time to let your dentist know about any dental problems that you may have.
At registration, you will be asked about your personal details and to fill in a medical history form. We will need to know about any medical conditions, medications and allergies as this can affect your dental treatment. It will be a good idea to bring a list of your medications if you think you can’t remember them all!!
During the initial check up, the teeth are only one aspect of the examination. In a comprehensive examination we make sure everything else is healthy including:
- Teeth (decay, tooth wear, crowding, existing fillings, mobility, missing)
- Gums (recession, bleeding, plaque, calculus)
- Surrounding structures (tongue, cheeks, lips, palate, throat)
- Jaw joints and muscles (clicking, pain, tenderness)
- Smile assessment (tooth shape, size and shade, smile line, gingival biotype)
- Existing appliances and prostheses (dentures, crowns, bridges, implants, orthodontic retainers, braces)
- Signs of oral diseases and oral cancer (ulcers, white spots)
We may need to take some photos and x- rays of your teeth as a baseline, and also to make sure we don’t miss out on anything underlying the tooth.
Your treatment plan will consist of a discussion of all the treatment you need, including further appointments and an estimate cost of your treatment.
If there is time, you may wish to continue with some treatment to get started:
- Cleaning the teeth (Scaling and Polishing)
- Fluoride treatment
- A simple filling
The whole process should not take more than 30 minutes, but we do allow more time for discussion or further treatment if needed. Any dental emergency (pain and swelling) will usually take priority over the Full Comprehensive Examination, and will probably need to be rescheduled for another time.