What to do with a knocked out tooth?
Mouth injuries such as knocked-out teeth can occur from sports-related injuries or other types of accidents.
First aid for knocked out tooth:
- Pick the tooth up by the crown. Do not touch the root of the tooth.
- If dirty, rinse the tooth with milk. If milk is not available, rinse with tap water for only 1-2 seconds.
- If possible, insert the tooth back into its socket in the mouth, and gently bite down on a soft cloth or tissue to keep it in place. If it is a baby tooth, do not try to re-insert the tooth. Store the baby tooth in milk or saliva, and bring it along to your dental visit.
- If not able to re-insert the tooth, soak it completely in milk or saliva while waiting to see a dentist. Do not store the tooth in water, or let it dry out.
- See a dentist immediately.